Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Julia Child, Dorothy & Kermit



I'm not sure if it was the gray weather or my close proximity to the Arlington National Cemetery, but I found Washington D.C. to be a bit haunting - commemorating important people and events of American history, all of which shaped the country and many of which ended tragically. It's not often that a day of sight-seeing in a famous city leaves one teary-eyed.

So, for me, it was a breath of fresh air to visit the Smithsonian's American History Museum. The museum is not void of sadness, however it celebrates the country over a broad period of time - highlighting particular joys that have come out of American culture. Full of artifacts, this museum tells a story of America - featuring the Star-Spangled Banner, the first ladies' dresses, a history of the presidency (I really enjoyed the Lincoln section), and the evolution of transportation, electricity and musical instruments. It was there that I got to see Julia Child's kitchen:











Kermit the frog:





and Dorothy's ruby slippers:





***all photos by me except, obviously, for the ones of Jim Henson and the Wizard of Oz***

4 comments: