Monday, November 7, 2011

Afternoon on a Hill



"Afternoon on a Hill"

I will be the gladdest thing
Under the sun!
I will touch a hundred flowers
And not pick one.

I will look at cliffs and clouds
With quiet eyes,
Watch the wind bow down the grass,
And the grass rise.

And when lights begin to show
Up from the town,
I will mark which must be mine,
And then start down!

- Edna St. Vincent Millay

Loving this poem "Afternoon on a Hill" by Edna St. Vincent Millay. It says so much, in so few words, about the poet as adventurer, observer and homebody. Can't we all relate? I took this photo of the Portland Breakwater Lighthouse on my recent trip to Maine. Of course, Maine is where the poet was born.

10 comments:

  1. GOOD MORNING, ithiny your blog is very nice. I would be glad if you could visit my blog. Comments and advice are welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb Talan sings that poem! Love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is exactly what i needed to start my week

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely. and i can definitely relate. ; )
    love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you read Edna St. Vincent's biography? Epic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, that photo and the poem. So beautiful. Regarding Anne's comment, I have read the biography and she is right, epic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anne: I've only read part of it, but it's sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be picked up and read in its entirety. The secret lives of poets are the best...

    ReplyDelete
  8. love this so much I want to buy a book of her poetry! Have never really read her. Suggestions??
    xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Amelia: Oddly enough, I'd first go with Anne and my Mom on this one and read "Savage Beauty," Nancy Milford's bio on Millay. That'll get you thirsting for more! Then, I'd pick up Millay's "Selected Poems." It has all the goodies. xo

    ReplyDelete