Monday, April 12, 2010

The Secret of Kells



This movie should be playing nationwide and don't wait for a rainy day to see it, like I did. See it now! Clocking in at a whopping 76 minutes, this Irish animated feature and Oscar nominee is more like flipping through the pages of an illuminated art manuscript than anything else. The animation has this essence of layering, repetition and collage, reminiscent of a poem. I went into the film not knowing anything, only that the snippets of visuals I had seen appeared to be magical, ethereal and simple. My favorite parts were of our young hero Brenden and the fairy Aisling making their way through the woods. I got so much pleasure watching them frolic to the gorgeous flutes and string of Celtic music, composed by Bruno Coulais.



There's one song with words in the whole movie, and she sings it.





She helps him find what he needs to make ink.



She reminded me of Joanna Newsom the whole time.



Did I mention he's a monk in training?

1 comment: