Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Elizabeth Bishop



Today is Elizabeth Bishop's birthday! She's the first poet who I truly fell in love with. A master at her craft and a weaver of complex imagery, she's for poets as much as she is for artists, thinkers, romantics. You know who you are. I'll celebrate her today by sharing her perfect villanelle with you all. The poem is called "One Art." Once you read it, you'll learn (Write it!), that the art of loving Bishop isn't hard to master.

Photo from here.

3 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Thank you for sharing that, it really touched me. And it made me realize that I need to read more poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad for this post; I hadn't read One Art in ages, but it is the kind of poem that has restorative qualities, if that makes any sense. What a marvelous poem, thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Elizabeth Bishop's poetry. Thanks for doing a post on her and sharing a poem. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete