Thursday, October 1, 2009

Reuse, Reduce, Recycle

Yesterday, during my favorite Vinyasa class of the week, my 1st and 2nd eyes' gaze drifted from my 3rd eye down to the snags and rips on my beloved purple Yoga Arts mat. I've long noticed such imperfections, but haven't been ready to move on, as it's supported me through my practice all these years. It's just worn from too many i'm-swimming-in-my-own-drench-asanas. And then it happened--it was time to rest my left ear on the mat after Boat pose--and it came to me, or rather, wafted up to me. Boat pose shouldn't smell like you're at sea. Seriously, there are only so many times you can wash your mat before it actually embodies the sweaty being it soon becomes. Alas, it's time for an upgrade. I think I'm ready for the Jade Harmony Mat I've so long admired for its hearty texture and environmental friendliness. But what to do with mine? Luckily, I can drop it off at Yoga Tree Valencia, as part of Jade's 3 R's program. They recycle old mats by finding new yogis for them. To the person who gets mine: sincere apologies for the stink and Namaste.

1 comment: