Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Up with the Lark



One summer (in Italy) I read Mrs. Dalloway, alongside The Hours - a pairing I highly recommend. This summer (in San Francisco) I will read To the Lighthouse. I started it tonight, waiting for Sarah at the Attic. I saw it on my shelf as I ran out the door to meet her. I thought, this is what I need. Right now. The blurb on the back (as if it's Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - the "other" book I'm reading - swaying me, read me!) says, "As time winds its way through their lives, the Ramseys face, alone and simultaneously, the greatest of human challenges and its greatest triumph - the human capacity for change." Walking down Bartlett Street, I thought, this is for me. However Virginia Woolf portrays the handling of change, I will abide by her approach. Green curry on the stove, sun just parting ways
with a street too low to catch up with it.



p.s. Having trouble with my Maine post...maybe I just need some time?

p.p.s. I'm sorry, but is V.W.'s swept back hair not the most effortlessly elegant thing you've ever seen?

2 comments:

  1. that book cover is a work of art. Is that a pic of your copy??
    Alsoo, I did the same thing--read The Hours and Mrs. Dalloway back to back though actually I should say that I *tried* to do the same thing--didnt make it through Mrs. Dalloway. This post makes me want to go back to it though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing!!! Now i want to re-read To the Lighthouse. Sissy, this post is beautiful and inspired.

    ReplyDelete